Monday, February 15, 2010

UdB misconceptions and difficulties

While trying to design my course some of my difficulties were identified with 2 misconceptions I found on Chapter 13

Misconception 2: "Yes, but.....we have too much content to cover"

Now I understand that my course has certain priorities that should be framed as performance goal and understandings. It makes no sense to assume that everything in the textbook should be taught in class or learned by all students. The textbook should be used just a reference book. Much of what I would aim from students to learn is gained from a well-designed work, with meaningful content that will make learning more effective and engaging.

Misconception 3: "Yes, but....this work is too hard and I just don't have the time

In part this is true, the time needed to do all this work could be best developed through local study groups and local research.
In fact, our team of English teachers should ask: What approaches to curriculum design, taching and assessing actually yield the greatest student learning, regardless of our habits and attitudes? Then, we need to uncover the big ideas through ongoing inquires and discussion
My course is just the beginning of a big challenge that needs to be connected with the following courses and we should unify our essential questions, assessment and big ideas by developing plans to achieve consistency in our final work. This support will avoid that feeling of hard and time consuming work.

No comments:

Post a Comment